Saturday, July 9, 2011

George Island death march

What you hike to (South Shore)
George Island and trail
As many of you know I had rather ride than walk although a stroll through a scenic spot is definitely open to possibilities. Today while in Killarney I decided (by myself) to tackle the 7.5 KM (5 miles) hike on the George Island Wilderness Trail which starts across the channel from the marina. It seemed easy enough since it was not a mountain and I figured it would be just a stroll in the woods. Well, four hours later I made it back and my knees and ankles are shot. I have never walked over so many roots and rocks in my life. I probably won't do it again as it was just not that spectacular unless you call roots, rocks, reeds and wet marsh exciting.  I did pass the wreck of an old ship that ended its life here some years agao. Here are a few shots that I took along the way.
Quiet bay
Old cabin
Pretty marsh

Another pretty marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment